Grated coconut meat is highly nutritious in its natural form when used as food ingredient. When mixed with plain water and heated, they will blend and transform into a milk form. All of its nutrients are perfectly preserved, but the benefits are improved that the milk is not only good for health but also hair beauty. Some of the common benefits of coconut milk for hair are as follows.
1. Prevents hair loss
To optimize its benefits, sometimes coconut milk needs to be mixed with other organic compounds. If you have hair loss problem, simply mix 50 ml of coconut milk with few tablespoons of camphor solution and 100 ml of water. To do the treatment, massage your scalp (probably bald spot) with the mixture and leave it for a few hours. When you are done, rinse your hair with warm water and place a towel to absorb the excess mixture. This does not only prevent hair loss, but it also treats bald spots quite well.
2. Moisturizes the hair
Coconut milk is an excellent hair moisturizer even when you don’t mix it with any other organic compound. The treatment is so simple that all you have to do is apply the milk to your hair. Applying the milk is basically nourishment for your hair from the roots to ends. It will only take less than 5 minutes to cover your entire hair, but you have to let the milk sit for about 20 minutes for best results. After that, wash your hair with water and shampoo.
3. Organic hair conditioner
It is also possible to use coconut milk in the same way you use any normal shampoo. In fact, you can mix them and use the mixture to rinse your hair. The coconut milk acts as a natural hair conditioner to give you longer hair and greater volume. Another method to take benefits of coconut milk for hair is to use it as leave-in conditioner. Pour some drops of the milk into your palms, and rub your hands against your hair. To make the job easier, bend forward and let your hair hang toward the floor. You can start from the roots including the back side of your neck and continue to the tips of your hair.
4. Treats dry scalp
The benefits do not stop at your hair. Coconut milk can also treat dry scalp as practiced by many women in tropical countries where fresh coconuts are easily available. To do this treatment, warm 2 cups of coconut milk, but don’t let it reach boiling temperature. Dip your fingers into the warm milk, and use them to massage your scalp gently and evenly. Let the milk sit for about an hour and then wash your hair as usual.
How to Apply Coconut Milk to Hair
Similar to all home remedies, you have to apply coconut milk properly to get the best results. A different kind of treatment requires different methods as well. To use coconut milk for hair loss treatment and dry scalp treatment, please follow these instructions.
A. Hair Loss Treatment
The first thing to do is prepare the milk. You can purchase ready-to-use coconut milk, or you can make it by using fresh ingredients. In some cases, the best quality coconut milk is the homemade one.
Applying coconut milk to treat hair loss is easy since all you have to do is massage it to the scalp. Once all areas are covered, let your scalp absorb the milk for about an hour before you rinse it thoroughly with warm water. If you have severe hair loss problem, repeat the treatment 4 times a week.
If you have some coconut milk left after the treatment, you can keep it in the refrigerator. The milk will stay fresh for about 2 days. It is, however, recommended that you simply make another bowl of fresh coconut milk for every treatment. If you cannot find fresh coconut fruits, you can use the canned milk as well.
Mixing the Milk with Other Ingredients
On its own, coconut milk is good enough for hair treatment but you can always add other nourishing ingredients to improve the results. Some of the most common combinations of coconut milk for hair treatment are outlined below.
- For bald spot treatment, you can mix 1/4 cup of coconut milk with a cup of yogurt and 3 tablespoons of camphor lotion. Apply a generous amount of the mixture to the scalp directly and let it sit for about 3 hours.
- Rinse your scalp with warm water when the treatment is done. A mixture of amla oil and coconut milk can prevent hair loss and premature graying. Amla oil is commonly available at Indian food stores.
- Another possible combination is 1 cup of coconut milk with 1/8 teaspoon of black pepper and 1/4 teaspoon of powdered fenugreek. Simply massage the mixture to the scalp.
B. Dry Scalp Treatment
The method to use coconut milk for dry scalp treatment has already been discussed briefly earlier, but the details are elaborated below.
- Get 2 cups of coconut milk (you can either use a homemade milk or purchase canned milk from a food store) and pour it into a saucepan. Put it on low-heat stove and stir frequently. Remove the pan from stove after about 10 minutes or basically before the milk reaches a boiling point.
- Pour the hot milk into a bowl and test the temperature with your hands. You will not want to burn your scalp by applying hot milk to it.
- Before applying the milk, drape a towel over your shoulder to protect your clothes. Also, comb your hair to remove tangles.
- Take a small amount of the oil by dipping your finger and massage your scalp gently. Make sure you get all areas of your scalp wet.
- Keep massaging for about 15 minutes and let the milk sit for an hour.
- Wash your hair with shampoo to get rid of the remaining milk on your scalp and let it dry.
People have been using coconut milk for hair treatment since centuries ago, especially in tropical countries where the fruits are abundant. The fruit contains more than enough nutrients to nourish the scalp and prevent hair loss effectively without any chemical additives. It is easy yet inexpensive way to take nature-provided benefits for your health and beauty.